- For children ages 6 through 12 years
- Must register prior to program due to limited space.
- If space allows, children can walk in day off.
- 1 hour in length
Van Gogh Sunflowers
There was a brief overview of Vincent Van Gogh is for his style of painting before introducing his Sunflowers. It is said that Van Gogh painted many of his sunflowers to right before his friend Paul Gaughin arrived in Arles (source: here)
I found the idea from seeing instructions on how to paint easy fireworks from the following websites, and I thought that making flowers would be fantastic!:
- Learning 4 Kids - Painting Fireworks
- Dayna Bayna - Easy Fireworks Painting
- The Parenting Patch - Patriotic Toilet Paper Roll Fireworks Paint Crafts
HOW TO MAKE IT?
- Tempera or acrylic paint
- Mixed Media paper
- Toilet Paper Tubes, with a line, 1.5 inches from the edge, drawn around
- Safety Scissors
- Paint Brushes
- Water cups
- Plastic or paper plates for the paint
- Paper Towels
Step 1: Like in the Inspiration websites/videos, children will cut little slits up to the 1.5 inch line around the toilet paper tube.
Step 2: With paint(s) on a plate, dab the tp tube applicator in the paint then then dab the paint on the art paper. Twist the tube around to get carrying colors and flower pedals. Repeat until desired look and number of flowers.
Step 3: Using a paint brush, paint a vase and flower stems. Add a background if you want!
HOW DID IT GO?
Attendance: 20 children, 11 adults
This was very well attended program! Paint tends to be a big draw for children, as well as Van Gogh. The children quickly went to work and painted amazing works of art!